I haven’t had much problems with getting the Brightness Control to work in Mint 16, but after installing v17 I had to struggle much more.
I honestly admit that I don’t know which of the following steps actually did the trick, nevertheless it works now 🙂
OK, I’m currently running Mint 17 x64 on Lenovo W530 with Nvidia Quadro K1000M and with Nvidia 331.38 installed.
Display mode in BIOS is set to “Discrete Mode”.
Here’s a list of things I did:
– I’ve updated the bios to latest available version (G5ET99WW (2.59))
– Generated a new xorg.conf using “NVIDIA X Server Settings” -> “X Server Display Configuration” -> “Save to X Configuration file”
– Then added “EnableBrightnessControl=1” to the device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "Device" Identifier "Device0" Driver "nvidia" VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation" BoardName "Quadro K1000M" Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1" EndSection
– After rebooting, the only thing I could find in /sys/class/backlight was:
– Then I tried to set the “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT” in /etc/default/grub to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nox2apic acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
but that didn’t work
– Finally I set it to only:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nox2apic"
– and after rebooting Brightness Control buttons (Fn+F8 & F9) started to work
and in the /sys/class/backlight I found acpi_video0 instead of thinkpad_screen
$ ll /sys/class/backlight total 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 10 10:14 acpi_video0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/backlight/acpi_video0/
I hope this will help someone.
Pls drop some comments if it helped you!